Having Alcohol at Your Event

This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage being offered and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor imply a claim is covered. Specific coverage terms vary by class of business. See your policy for full details.  

If you plan to serve alcohol at your special event, make certain that the location you choose allows alcohol to be served. Also make sure to inquire about any special conditions, permits, or special event insurance. Be aware of the laws in your locale which may govern the sale and consumption of alcohol. Seek legal advice if you are not clear on the applicable liquor liability laws that apply to your special event. Make sure your special event insurance covers events where alcohol is served.

Be sure that controls are in place to make sure that intoxicated or underage patrons are not served;

  1. Should you have a procedure in place to check IDs?
  2. What will you do if one of the guests becomes intoxicated?
  3. Should you consider having a vendor or independent contractor provide the alcohol?
  4. Consider ending the serving of alcohol an hour or two prior to the close of your special event.

Please make sure that you have your Special Event Insurance in place and that you have coverage that at the very least covers Host Liquor Liability in your general liability insurance coverage terms. If you are in the business of selling, distributing, or manufacturing alcohol then you need to obtain Retail Liquor Liability Insurance.

Host liquor is covered by default on all of our policies (unless you decided to remove it). We also provide retail liquor liability for additional premium.

If you are still unclear of what alcohol liability you need please give us a call!

Other Articles